I have a confession to make. I have an unhealthy addiction to mashed potatoes. I'm not talking the occasional indulgence, I am talking I could literally eat mashed potatoes by the heaping spoonful, directly out of the bowl. Phew, feels good to get that off my chest. If I haven't scared you off with my admittance, you might just be like me. That also means these Instant Pot garlic mashed potatoes are going to be right up your alley. The best part, they are the perfect topping to my skillet shepherds pie - yay!
- Why You'll Love These Creamy Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Tell Me About These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Ingredients for this Perfect Side Dish
- How to Make This Instant Pot Side
- Tips and Tricks for The Best Mashed Potatoes...Ever
- The add-ins are endless! Try:
- Try These With...
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Why You'll Love These Creamy Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- They take 15 minutes to make! Time crunches are real, especially at dinner time. These mashed potatoes require no babysitting in the Instant Pot, and a quick mash takes no time to get them on the table.
- They are versatile! Once you have a base mashed potato recipe, the options of mix-ins are endless. Bacon, cheese, truffle oil, roasted garlic - I'm drooling just thinking about it.
- They go with well, everything! When in doubt, mashed potatoes are the side.
Tell Me About These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Flavour: Imagine the silkiest, creamiest mashed potatoes, with the perfect hint of saltiness and garlic. Yes, you are imagining the taste of these luscious mashed potatoes! The garlic flavour is not too overpowering in these potatoes!
- Ease: Now, mashed potatoes in general are quite easy to navigate. The Instant Pot takes a lot of the work out of getting the water boiling, to get those potatoes tender. That is quite literally, the most labour intensive part of these potatoes!
- Time: The title may have given this one away, but 15 minutes is all you need for perfectly creamy mashed potatoes. The Instant Pot is a weeknight meal game changer in so many ways!
Ingredients for this Perfect Side Dish
- Yukon Gold Potatoes: There is a lot of debate on which potatoes make the BEST mashed potatoes. My potatoes of preference are yukon gold potatoes - they have the right amount of starch, but don't get overwhelmingly gummy when they are mashed.
- Milk: The secret to making your potatoes light and creamy is warm milk. If you are feeling decadent, you can use half milk and half cream, or even all cream. You want to ensure that the milk is heated up before adding it to the potatoes - this can be done in the microwave or on the stove. It makes a huge difference in achieving those creamy potatoes we all know and love.
- Garlic Butter: Store-bought garlic butter is the perfect addition to these mashed potatoes. It's perfectly seasoned, and has the right amount of garlic-y flavour. If you can't find garlic butter, you can steep garlic cloves in the milk while heating it up!
- Spices and Seasonings: Garlic powder, salt and pepper are all you need to make the perfect mashed potatoes. If you wish, you can add some thyme or sage to the milk while it steeps, for some extra flavour!
How to Make This Instant Pot Side
- Prepare the Potatoes: Peel and cube your potatoes into uniform sized pieces. They do not have to be too small, as the Instant Pot will do the work here.
- Pressure Cook the Potatoes: Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot, and salt the potatoes liberally. Pressure cook on HI pressure for 10 minutes, and quick release once done.
- Warm the Milk: While the potatoes are pressure cooking, heat the milk and garlic butter on the stove, in a saucepan.
- Drain and Mash: Drain the potatoes, and put your Instant Pot on saute mode to ensure all the liquid has dried from the potatoes. Add the garlic powder at this time. Roughly mash the potatoes until relatively smooth.
- Add the Milk: Little by little, add the warm milk mix to the potatoes. Fold in using a spoon or rubber spatula, until they are completely smooth.
Tips and Tricks for The Best Mashed Potatoes...Ever
- Evaporate ALL the water from the potatoes, after boiling: This step is so underrated, but SO crucial. Once your potatoes are boiled, drain and return to the Instant Pot on a LO saute, and leave them alone. You want your potatoes to be completely dry before you start mashing them. Any residual water is going to make your potatoes "gloopy" (yes, that was the best word to use). Truthfully, you will probably not achieve creamy potatoes if you have wet potatoes, so do not skip this!
- Do not over-mash!: Mash your potatoes until they are well, mashed, without any add-ins. That means hold off on your milk/cream/butter mix, and just squish down your potatoes until smooth. Once that is done, toss the potato masher in the sink. When you start adding in your milk/butter mixture, use a spoon or rubber spatula to fold it in. It will look like a lot of liquid when you add it in, but the result is creamy, silky, dreamy mashed potatoes.
- For the Silkiest Potatoes - Use a Ricer: Mashed potatoes using a potato masher are generally quite smooth, but if you want absolutely zero lumps, use a potato ricer! It does add a little more time and work to the mashed potatoes, but they will be even silkier and dreamier than you can ever imagine!
The add-ins are endless! Try:
- Mashing in some roasted garlic to the potatoes
- Steeping some sage in the milk, as you heat it
- Top with cheddar cheese, bacon, sour cream and scallions for "loaded mashed potatoes"
- Mix with shredded cheddar cheese for cheesy mashed potatoes
Try These With...Print
If you are a mashed potato lover like me, these Instant Pot garlic mashed potatoes are going to be right up your alley.
- 6 medium-sized yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tbsp garlic butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the Potatoes: Add cubed potatoes, water and 1 ½ tsp salt to your Instant Pot. Pressure cook in HI pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release the pressure once done.
- Heat the Milk: While the potatoes are cooking, in a saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the milk. If you are going to add butter, melt it with the milk. If you are going to add any herb add-ins, steep it with this milk as it warms.
- Drain and Dry: Once the potatoes are done, drain and return the Instant Pot. Put on LO saute mode, and let the residual water evaporate completely, so the potatoes are completely dry.
- Mash the Potatoes: Using a potato masher (or potato ricer if you prefer) mash the potatoes until smooth. Add the milk mixture little by little, and fold in using a spoon or rubber spatula.
Keywords: instant pot mashed potatoes, mashed potatoes, side dishes, creamy mashed potatoes, 15 minute mashed potatoes