These steakhouse style red skin, roasted garlic mashed potatoes are a fantastic way to bring your favourite fancy restaurant dinners, home. The secret to these silky, creamy mashed potatoes is two whole bulbs of roasted garlic, packed with luscious butter and cream. There's no better way to celebrate a special occasion!
If I am going out for a fancy steak dinner, there is one thing that is for sure - I am getting some kind of creamy, decadent potato side. I started to crave these delicious potatoes without the fancy steakhouse experience, and more importantly, without the steakhouse price tag.
After tons of trial and error (and quite honestly, an embarrassing amount of potatoes), I finally realized that the key to the most amazing steakhouse mashed potatoes is an ungodly amount of butter, cream, and melty roasted garlic. These my friends, are it.
Try these potatoes with homemade prime rib, a perfectly seared ribeye, creamed jalapeño corn, or eat them straight out of the pot like I may, or may not do. If you too, love unimaginable amounts of potatoes, try out our twice baked mashed potatoes, or cheesy potatoes au gratin!
- Red skin potatoes
- Heavy cream
- Salted butter
- Roasted garlic
- Salt & pepper
A full list of ingredients with measurements is located on the recipe card, below.
Collecting all your ingredients - This will make cooking so much easier. Gather all the spices you will need, and keep them nearby.
Cut the potatoes - Cut the potatoes into quarters. Ensure that the pieces are like-sized so that everything cooks evenly.
Prepare the roasted garlic - Prepare one batch of air fryer roasted garlic.
Fill a large pot with cold water, salt, and the potatoes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil the potatoes until they are fork tender. For the purpose of making these potatoes, you want the potatoes to smash extremely easily with a fork. This makes for silky, smooth potatoes.
While the potatoes are boiling, heat up the cream and butter mixture. You can do this in a sauce pan over the stove, or also in a microwave-safe bowl in 30 second increments.
Once the potatoes are boiled, drain and return to the hot pot. Add the roasted garlic to the potatoes. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until there are no visibly large chunks of potatoes. Add in half of the cream mixture, and continue to mash until the cream is mixed in.
Add the other half of the cream mixture to the potatoes, and combine using a spatula or wooden spoon. Top with some extra butter, and chopped chives.
Let the excess water evaporate from the potatoes before mashing! Once you drain the potatoes, return them to the pot to let the potatoes dry.
- Red skin potatoes - If you do not have red skin potatoes, feel free to use Yukon gold or russet potatoes. If using russet potatoes, I recommend peeling them.
- Roasted garlic - If you are running short on time or don't have a whole head of garlic, you can use garlic powder for a subtle garlic flavour. I do, however, suggest making these with the roasted garlic for the best results.
- Heavy cream - You may use half and half cream in place of heavy cream, if you have it on hand.
- Herby - Steep sage or thyme into the cream mixture while heating it up, for an herby twist to these potatoes.
- Deluxe - add some boursin cheese to these potatoes for an elevated twist!
This is what I used to make this recipe - Please be mindful that different equipment and cooking utensils may yield varying results. Most of my favourite equipment can be found on my storefront.
These potatoes keep well in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, in an airtight container. They can be reheated in the oven, covered in foil, or in the microwave. If they look a little dry, add some extra cream to the potatoes.
Looking for more meal inspiration? Subscribe to our newsletter for weekly recipe roundups, straight to your inbox! Follow us on our socials, on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook! If you try one of our recipes, let us know how it was by rating and commenting!
Steakhouse Red Skin Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Make the roasted garlic: Prepare one batch of air fryer roasted garlic, and set aside.2 heads Roasted garlic
- Boil the Potatoes: Fill a large pot with cold water, salt, and the potatoes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil the potatoes until they are fork tender. You want the potatoes to smash extremely easily with a fork.6 Red skin potatoes
- Prepare the cream: While the potatoes are boiling, heat up the cream and butter mixture in a sauce pan over the stove, or also in a microwave-safe bowl in 30 second increments.1 cup Heavy cream, ¼ cup Salted butter
- Mash the potatoes: Once the potatoes are boiled, drain and return to the hot pot. Add the roasted garlic to the potatoes. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until there are no visibly large chunks of potatoes. Add in half of the cream mixture, and continue to mash until the cream is mixed in.
- Finish: Add the other half of the cream mixture to the potatoes, and combine using a spatula or wooden spoon. Add the salt and pepper, and mix. Top with some extra butter, and chopped chives.1 teaspoon Sea salt, ¼ teaspoon Black pepper, Chives
- Large pot
- Sauce pot