I will gladly admit that I have a love affair with noodles. What's not to love? Little nests of carby goodness, with a limitless combination of flavours and add-ins - sounds like an ideal meal to me. The best part about noodles, you may ask? They take next-to-no time to make, making this a TWENTY (!!) minute meal. These 20 minute spicy peanut noodles are quick, but full of your favourite asian takeout flavours.
The Secret to Weeknight Cooking - Prep!
For most easy weeknight meals, I find that it isn't the cooking process that is laborious or time-consuming - it's scrambling to get your ingredients together, and ready to go. I will admit, I used to be the kind of person that would grab ingredients as-needed, which would usually lead me to run around my kitchen in a frenzy. I would spend more time running around finding ingredients in my pantry and fridge, than I would actually preparing my dinner.
If you can relate to the above - that's normal! If there is one thing I have learned, preparation is KEY! Weeknight meal prep works in two ways - 1) getting your produce ready when you bring it home from the grocery store; and 2) getting your ingredients together before you start cooking.
Prep After You Shop
I cannot stress this enough! If you find that chopping and prepping your veggies take a considerable amount of time when you are cooking at night - wash and cut your veggies after you grocery shop. Breaking down your produce at the beginning of the week and storing them in produce-friendly containers will shave off a lot of time!
Keep Your Ingredients on Standby
If nothing else, keeping your ingredients pre-measured and ready to go is key! This allows you to keep everything by the stove, and as you are cooking you can add your ingredients without having to search and measure. This will make weeknight cooking stress-free, I promise!
Let's Talk Peanut Sauce!
When you are making a mountain of noodles, do not be shy with making a generous amount of sauce! Your sauce might be full of flavour, but if there isn't enough of it, your noodles will likely be lightly seasoned and just a little bland. Adding some starchy pasta water will also help with letting that sauce cling to your noodles - I have said it before, and I'll say it again - Pasta water is LIQUID GOLD! Your 20 minute spicy peanut noodles will thank you, I promise!
If You Like This, Try...Print
These 20 minute spicy peanut noodles are quick, but full of your favourite asian takeout flavours.
- 375g whole wheat spaghettini
- 1lb 16-20 shrimp, peeled and deveined.
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup snow peas, sliced in half
- 1 bunch scallions, roughly chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp korean chili flakes
- 2 tsp chilli garlic paste
- ½ cup pasta water
- Mix the Sauce: Whisk together the ingredients for the sauce, and set aside.
- Boil the Noodles: Cook the noodles until al dente, in salted water. Reserve pasta water prior to draining.
- Make the Stir-Fry: While the noodles are cooking, saute the ginger, garlic and vegetables in 1 tbsp of olive oil, in a large stainless steel skillet, over medium-high heat. Once browned and softened, add the shrimp and take off heat once the shrimp are opaque and pink.
- Mix Together: Add a quarter of the sauce on the vegetables and shrimp and toss. Add the pasta, pasta water, and remaining sauce, and toss again.
Keywords: spicy peanut noodles, noodle stir fry, shrimp stir fry, peanut noodles, spicy stir fry, skillet meal, 20 minute meal