If you love homemade french fries, take it to a whole new level with this Loaded Chaat Fries recipe! These crispy masala fries make the perfect side to burgers, sandwiches, and so much more! Topped with flavorful yogurt & mint chutney, classic tamarind chutney, and the right amount of freshness from onions and chickpeas,these fries are my shortcut answer to a classic aloo tikki chaat!
👩🏽🍳Why This Recipe Works
Quick and easy: These homemade fries are super easy to make in the air fryer. You can season them quickly if you mix chaat masala seasoning ahead of time.
Flavorful and delicious: These loaded chaat fries are so full of flavor, both sweet and savory. If your taste buds could thank you, they would!
An easy sheet tray snack: These chaat fries are perfect for entertaining, much like nachos. Arrange everything on a sheet tray, and serve! If you're into a different cuisine version of these fries, my loaded greek feta fries are a delicious alternative!
- Shoestring french fries - I prefer to use this variety of fries, as they crisp up really well in the air fryer, while still maintaining a light fluffy interior.
- Chaat masala - Chaat masala is a blend of spices, including mango powder, black salt, and dried pomegranate. It adds a tangy flavor to the spice dust.
- Boiled chickpeas - Drain and rinse the liquid out of the can.
- Store-bought tamarind chutney - This ingredient has a sweet and tangy flavor that will be irresistible. It can be found in the international aisle. Adding citrus chaat seasoning to your fries is what truly takes them to a whole new level!
A full list of ingredients with measurements is located on the recipe card, below.
- Shoestring french fries: Feel free to use any fry cut that you prefer. This will work well with wedges or steak-cut fries.
- Red chili powder: For a milder spin, you can use smoked or sweet paprika.
- Yogurt mint chutney: You can also use plain yogurt as well.
- Toppings - You can top your fries with chopped green onion, and even some shredded cheese for an even more loaded experience.
- Chicken - Top with prepared tandoori chicken tikka for a meaty twist on these fries.
⏲️ Step-by-Step Instructions
Prep Work Before Cooking
Collecting all your ingredients - This will make cooking so much easier. Gather all the spices you will need, and keep them nearby.
Prepare the chutney - If you do not already have it on hand, prepare a batch of homemade yogurt mint chutney.
Add the french fries to an air fryer basket. Spray with cooking spray, and air fry for 7-10 minutes at 390°F. [photo 1]
Add the cooked french fries to a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with the spices, and toss well. [photo 2]
Arrange fries on a sheet tray or a large platter. Top with homemade yogurt mint chutney, tamarind chutney, chopped red onion, and chickpeas. Optionally, top with crunchy thin sevian. [photos 3&4]
💭 Expert Tips
Shake your fries as they cook to get them evenly crispy and brown.
Season the fries while they are hot! This will ensure that the spices stick to the exterior of the fries.
If your air fryer basket is smaller, cook the fries in batches so that the fries are evenly crispy
🍽 Make Ahead & Storage
Make Ahead Instructions
- You can mix the spices together at any time and keep them stored in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
- The yogurt and mint chutney can be made 2-3 days in advance, and stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Store leftover fries in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator. They will stay good for up to three days.
- Keep in mind that with all the toppings on these fries, they will be difficult to reheat. I recommend making enough for one serving at a time, for the best results.
Chaat is an Indian dish, traditionally with boiled vegetables or raw fruit, loaded with delicious spices! In this dish, it’s potatoes made into fries!
You can! However, then you wouldn’t get the full effect of this delicious recipe!
📝More Street Food Recipes
Looking for more meal inspiration? Subscribe to our newsletter for weekly recipe roundups, straight to your inbox! Follow us on our socials, on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook! If you try one of our recipes, let us know how it was by rating and commenting!
Loaded Chaat Fries
For the French Fries
For the Toppings
- ½ Onion finely diced
- 1 cup Boiled chickpeas
- Yogurt mint chutney to drizzle
- Store-bought tamarind chutney to drizzle
- Add the french fries to an air fryer basket. Spray with cooking spray, and air fry for 7-10 minutes at 390°F.28 oz bag Shoestring french fries
- Add the cooked french fries to a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with the spices, and toss well.1 teaspoon Garlic powder, 1 teaspoon Onion powder, 1 teaspoon Chaat masala, 1 teaspoon Red chili powder, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Arrange fries on a sheet tray or a large platter. Top with homemade yogurt mint chutney, tamarind chutney, chopped red onion, and chickpeas. Optionally, top with crunchy thin sevian.½ Onion, 1 cup Boiled chickpeas, Yogurt mint chutney, Store-bought tamarind chutney
- Shake your fries as they cook to get them evenly crispy and brown.
- Season the fries while they are hot! This will ensure that the spices stick to the exterior of the fries.
- If your air fryer basket is smaller, cook the fries in batches so that the fries are evenly crispy!