If you have ever been in the Los Angeles food scene, you know that La Scala's chopped salad is iconic. Packed with smokey salami, little bites of bocconcini cheese, and a tangy dressing, this recipe makes salad fun! This copycat recipe for La Scala's salami chopped salad uses simple, fresh ingredients to mimic this recipe. You probably have everything you need in your fridge and pantry!
A chopped salad is a classic. What makes them so unique is that generally, all the ingredients are chopped together in a bowl or on the cutting board. This means that all the ingredients are usually chopped pretty finely.
This recipe is a liiiittle different than a regular chopped salad. Instead of chopping everything up at the same time, I like to finely chop the ingredients separately and assemble in the bowl. Whichever method you prefer works for this salad.
La Scala is a restaurant in Beverly Hills, California that is known for their chopped salad. It is packed with salami, cheese, and marinated garbanzo beans. This version uses most of the same ingredients, with a similar tangy dressing like the restaurant. The secret to the dressing is dried mustard!
- Iceberg lettuce: Iceberg lettuce adds the 'crunch' factor to this salad.
- Romaine lettuce: Romaine lettuce adds another level of texture, with a little more flavour than iceberg lettuce.
- Salami: I used regular smoked salami for this salad.
- Cherry tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes are perfect for this salad, as they will not water down the salad as whole tomatoes would.
- Roasted red peppers: Roasted red peppers add a smokey / sweet flavour to the salad.
- Bocconcini cheese: Bocconcini cheese is soft, and mild in flavour - it's the perfect addition to the salad.
- Chickpeas: You may use canned or fresh chickpeas, if you have them on hand.
- Spices and seasonings: You will need dried mustard, garlic powder, chilli flakes, and oregano. You will also need red wine vinegar and olive oil.
A full list of ingredients with measurements is located on the recipe card, below.
Collecting all your ingredients - This will make cooking so much easier. Gather all the spices you will need, and keep them nearby.
Draining the chickpeas - If using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse them so there is none of the canning liquid left.
Finely chop the lettuce, salami, bocconcini and roasted red peppers. Layer on a platter.
Halve the cherry tomatoes, and add on top of the lettuce and other ingredients. Top with chickpeas.
Add the dressing ingredients to a mason jar. Put the lid on, and shake to combine. Drizzle the dressing onto the salad before serving. Toss, and serve.
Make extra dressing so you can keep it on hand in the fridge for the week! The dressing will keep well in a mason jar in the fridge for up to a week.
- Salami: Pepperoni would make a good substitute for salami in this salad. Alternatively, you can use turkey to keep it on the lighter side.
- Bocconcini cheese: You can use regular mozzarella, or provolone cheese instead.
- Vegetarian: Omit the salami to make this salad completely vegetarian.
- Antipasto: Add in some olives and artichoke hearts to give this salad more of an antipasto twist.
This is what I used to make this recipe - Please be mindful that different equipment and cooking utensils may yield varying results. Most of my favourite equipment can be found on my storefront.
- Cutting board
- Mason jar
Looking for more meal inspiration? Subscribe to our newsletter for weekly recipe roundups, straight to your inbox! Follow us on our socials, on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook! If you try one of our recipes, let us know how it was by rating and commenting!
La Scala Copycat Salami Chopped Salad
- ½ heart Romaine lettuce
- ½ head Iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup Chickpeas
- 4 slices Salami
- ½ cup Bocconcini cheese
- ½ cup Cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup Roasted red pepper
- Finely chop the lettuce, salami, bocconcini and roasted red peppers. Layer on a platter or in a large bowl.½ heart Romaine lettuce, ½ head Iceberg lettuce, 4 slices Salami, ½ cup Bocconcini cheese, ¼ cup Roasted red pepper
- Halve the cherry tomatoes, and add on top of the lettuce and other ingredients. Top with chickpeas.1 cup Chickpeas, ½ cup Cherry tomatoes
- Add the dressing ingredients to a mason jar. Put the lid on, and shake to combine. Drizzle the dressing onto the salad before serving. Toss, and serve.¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil, ¼ cup Red wine vinegar, 2 teaspoon Mustard powder, 1 teaspoon Dried oregano, ¼ teaspoon Red chilli flakes, 1 teaspoon Sea salt, Pepper
- Cutting board
- Mason jar