Am I the only one who feels like flatbread and pizza are completely different? If you are with me, then this cheesy zucchini and tomato flatbread will be right up your alley. If you aren't with me, this flatbread might just change your mind! Pizza lovers, come to the flatbread side!
The Difference is in the Crust
Now it is no secret that I am a carb lover, so in reality I can get down with any kind of carby vessel for cheese and toppings. Flatbread is a little bit more versatile than pizza, and you are not limited to using standard pizza dough (as great as it is).
To make this cheesy zucchini and tomato flatbread, I used a nostalgic favourite - crescent roll dough from a can. When you roll it out and bake it, you get a really delicious, buttery crust with minimal effort. If you prefer, you can use store-bought puff pastry, or if you a real baking whiz, you can definitely make your own pie crust (I am not, in fact, a baking whiz).
Cheese Me, Please
What makes this flatbread super special, is the cream herby cream cheese base. If you feel weird about warm cream cheese, don't! It heats up perfectly, and acts as the perfect glue for the zucchini and tomato topping. Also, if there really such a thing as too much cheese, anyway? If you ask me, the answer is always CHEESE ME PLEASE!
My Tips and Tricks
- You want your cream cheese to be spreadable - the best way to do this is to take it of the fridge to allow it to soften. If you forget to do this, or don't have the time to do it, put it in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 15 seconds.
- You want to use cold crescent roll dough, so it is easier to spread onto a sheet pan, and doesn't rip apart.
- Poke holes in your crescent roll dough with a fork, so it doesn't become a puffy mess
Looking for Other Vegetarian Options? Try...
Cheesy Zucchini and Tomato Flatbread
- 235 g Crescent roll dough rolled out flat and docked with a fork
- 125 g Cream cheese softened
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 Zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 Roma tomato thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Cream Cheese Spread
- 2 tbsp Fresh dill chopped
- 2 tbsp Scallions chopped
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Lemon zested
- Par-bake the Crust: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out the crescent dough, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a fork, dock holes around the dough to prevent it from puffing up. Bake the dough for 5-7 minutes.
- Prepare the Cream Cheese Spread: In a mixing bowl, mix together the ingredients for the cream cheese spread, and set aside.
- Assemble: Take the par-baked dough out of the oven. Gently spread the cream cheese spread onto the dough evenly. Top with the mozzarella cheese, and arrange the zucchini and tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 10-15 minutes until brown.