If you are looking for a fresh side, or even a great lunch with the addition of a protein - look no further! This roasted zucchini caprese salad is probably better than standard caprese salad - yeah, I said it.
This salad has perfectly roasted zucchini and tomatoes, with the contrast and bite of red onions, and of course bocconcini cheese - yes this deserved a bolded font, because cheese! To reduce the sharpness of red onions, soak them in some cold water for about 5 minutes before assembling your salad!
The trick to making sure your zucchini does not turn into a watery mess, is pre-salting. I cut my zucchini into chunks, spread them out on paper towel, and generously salted them. Let the zucchini sit for 5-10 minutes, and you will see a generous amount of water come to the surface. Using a fresh paper towel, pat the zucchini dry, and you are ready to go!
Likewise, to reduce the water content of the tomatoes, I halve them and remove the seeds. Seasoned with salt and pepper, your tomatoes will look as they do above, before roasting, arranged on a sheet pan.
And it's magic! The tomatoes are beautifully roasted. They should look just like this. Let them cool, and it is time to assemble your beautiful and delicious roasted zucchini caprese salad.
Roasted Zucchini Caprese Salad
- 4 to matoes halved and deseeded
- 2 zucchinis halved and cut in chunks
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup bocconcini cheese torn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil divided in half
- Balsamic glaze to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare zucchini and tomatoes as outlined above. Halve and deseed tomatoes. Cut and salt the zucchini and let sit for 5 minutes, to let the moisture release.
- Arrange the tomatoes and zucchini on a sheet pan, and drizzle with half of the olive oil, salt (only on tomatoes!) and pepper, and minced garlic.
- Bake the tomatoes and zucchini for 25 minutes. Remove, and cool once done.
- Assemble the salad with the tomatoes, zucchini, red onions, bocconcini cheese, olive oil and balsamic glaze. Sprinkle with some coarse sea salt and pepper, and enjoy!