Fajitas are always a good idea. I am unilaterally deciding that for all of us. Chicken fajitas are an even better idea when you are pressed for time, and have no desire to do a pile of dishes after cooking dinner. Sheet pan fajitas, you say? Perfect.
These sheet pan fajitas are packed with chicken, peppers and onions, but more importantly are a one pan meal that can be on your table in 20 minutes. The best part, the toppings are endless, and these a great use for my pickled onions!
Fajita Seasoning - Ditch the Yellow Envelope!
I know when we make homemade fajitas we often turn to pre-made seasonings - yes, the one in the yellow envelope. I am here to tell you we do not need that seasoning, when homemade is so much easier to make.
The measurements I have in the recipe below for homemade fajita seasoning are for this serving of fajitas, but if you find that fajitas are a go-to meal in your house, you can double or triple the serving size and store it in an air-tight spice jar. That way, you can have fajita seasoning ready to go, and quick sheet pan chicken fajitas for an easy dinner.
What is in Fajita Seasoning?
Fajita seasoning is made with spices you are likely to have on hand in your pantry. I make mine with a blend of garlic and onion powder, chipotle and ancho chilli powder, and good ol' chili powder. Chili powder is actually a blend of spices, including cumin, which is common in tex-mex food.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs , cut in strips
- 2 bell peppers cut in strips
- 2 yellow onions sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp chipotle chilli powder
- 2 tsp ancho chilli powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Season chicken, onions and peppers liberally with olive oil and the fajita seasoning.
- Arrange on a sheet pan, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- If you want more colour on your chicken and veggies, broil for 2-3 minutes on high.