Chicken pot pie is a quintessential comfort food. Chicken and spring vegetables enveloped in a creamy sauce, snuggled under the perfect flakey topping? That's a hug on a plate if you ask me. This biscuit chicken pot pie takes a weeknight-friendly shortcut by using good ol' canned biscuits as the topping. The result, the ultimate comfort food with minimal effort!
- 2 cooked chicken breasts (rotisserie chicken), cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalks celery, diced
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas, frozen or fresh
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups no salt added chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can Pillsbury biscuits - 10 biscuits per can
- Preheat oven: Preheat your oven to 375°.
- Saute the vegetables: In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in butter. Once translucent, add the carrots, celery, potatoes and mushrooms to the skillet. Continue to saute until the vegetables are browned and tender.
- Make the Sauce: Sprinkle in the all-purpose flour, and cook out for approximately 5 minutes to get rid of the raw taste. Add in the chicken broth and stir until it comes to a simmer and starts to thicken up. Once thick, add the cream, and the cubed chicken breast.
- Assemble: Remove the skillet from the heat, and top with the individual Pillsbury biscuits.
- Bake: Bake the skillet pot pie for 20-25 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown, and the sauce is bubbly!
Keywords: easy chicken pot pie, biscuit chicken pot pie, healthy chicken pot pie, healthy comfort food, lightened comfort food