A hot bowl of soup - sometimes that's all you need. It has been snowy, cold, and more importantly grey these days, so comfort was a no-brainer for me. Even though the sun sets at 4:30pm, this Instant Pot coconut curry squash soup is just as bright as a sunny day (cheesy, I know). Packed with warm spices like curry, cinnamon and nutmeg, it is full of flavour and very LOW on time!
What if I Don't Have an Instant Pot?
Fear not! You can still make this soup. This soup is great made on the stove as well, it may just take a little bit longer for the butternut squash to soften up.
If you find yourself in time crunches for dinner often, much like I do, I would highly recommend getting an Instant Pot. I am not being paid to advertise or endorse the Instant Pot, but I do strongly feel that it is a versatile product that really does cut down on cooking times for so many meals. I have used it for:
How to Peel a Butternut Squash
My first tip to you, is to be sure you peel the squash. The skin of the squash is relatively thick, and unless you are slow-roasting it, the squash is best enjoyed peeled.
I have seen some people using their knife to remove the peel of the squash by cutting down the side, but I find that you end up wasting a lot of your squash (hello - student on a budget here)! My way of peeling it? A good old fashioned vegetable peeler.
Believe it or not, I recently found out that you can use a vegetable peeler BOTH WAYS. This was revolutionary to me, and maybe I am just a little too excited, but let a girl live!
This Soup Would Go Great With...
Try this Instant Pot Coconut Curry Squash Soup with
Instant Pot Coconut Curry Squash Soup
- 1 shallot sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 400 ml can light coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute shallots and squash: Using the saute mode on your Instant Pot, brown the shallots and garlic in a tbsp of olive oil, or non-stick cooking spray to keep it lower in fat. Add the butternut squash, and the spices except for salt and pepper. Cook through for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Broth: Add the chicken broth, and seal your Instant Pot. Cook on HI pressure for 20 minutes. Quick release when done.
- Blend: Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until the shallots and squash are smooth. Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes. Enjoy!