While I love the the hearty, comforting recipes that come with fall weather, I still turn toward my favourite light vegetables occasionally. Don't get me wrong, load me up with all the cheesy casseroles and soups, but sometimes I throw in a vegetable in the name of balance. Enter this grilled halloumi and zucchini salad - the perfect balance in the midst of all the comfort food.
What Kind of Vegetables Will Work?
This grilled halloumi and zucchini salad is fresh, delicious, and the perfect balance of bright and salty flavours! Although I used zucchini and summer squash for this salad, you can make substitutions depending on what you find.
If you cannot find yellow squash, as it is dependent on season, you can make this with all zucchini, or even grilled eggplant. You can add in some grilled red onions for a variation of flavour, or even some grilled bell peppers.
What is Halloumi Cheese?
If you have never used halloumi cheese before, you will be surprised to know it does not melt! It is squeaky like cheese curds - my Canadians know this from poutine - but salty like feta.
When grilled or seared, it adds the perfect salty and bright flavour that goes well with mild yellow squash and zucchini. You can usually find halloumi with your speciality deli cheeses, but feel free to substitute feta if you can't find it!
Don't Forget to Zest!
The best part of the grilled halloumi and zucchini salad is the freshness of the lemon zest. If you were thinking of skipping it - don't! Lemon zest is gold that often gets forgotten about when cooking. It adds the perfect citrusy note without overpowering sourness that you get from using the juice alone.
The key to zesting a lemon, is to not go beyond the yellow skin. Once you hit the white pith of the lemon, stop zesting. Anything below the yellow zest is going to be bitter and well, not yummy.Print
Grilled halloumi and zucchini salad is a quick and easy vegetable side packed with light and fresh mediterranean flavours that are sure to please.
- 2 yellow summer squashes, thickly sliced
- 2 zucchinis, thickly sliced
- 1 cup halloumi cheese, thickly cubed
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bunch of basil, chopped
- Toss the squash and zucchini in the seasoning - keep the bowl with the seasoning to toss the squash in once grilled. Grill, bake or saute the squash and zucchini - whichever you prefer! I sauteed the vegetables in a cast-iron skillet as I did not have access to a bbq, but grilled is best!
- Remove the squash and return to the bowl with the seasoning, and toss thoroughly.
- In the same pan or on the same grill, cook the halloumi cheese until golden brown and warmed through. If you have not used halloumi before, it does not melt!
- Plate the squash, and top with the halloumi cheese and basil. Enjoy!
Keywords: grilled zucchini salad, halloumi cheese, halloumi salad, grilled vegetable salad, easy salad, grilled vegetables