You could wrap anything up in a tortilla, and I'd happily gobble it up. Now, wrap up a cheesy chipotle chicken filling, give me these cheesy chipotle chicken taquitos, and I am one happy girl!
I remember in high school I used to buy frozen taquitos that I would microwave (because I couldn't wait to stuff them in my mouth). While they probably would have tasted better if I didn't microwave them, I remember them being DELICIOUS. These cheesy chipotle chicken taquitos are my spin on that childhood favourite of mine, and dare I say, they are much better!
What is a Taquito?
Taquitos are generally made with a smaller-size tortilla, filled with meat and cheese, and deep-fried. Generally taquitos are made with corn tortillas, but I opted for some lower-carb flour tortillas, just out of preference. If you are a fan of corn tortillas, I say go for it!
Now, deep-fried anything is a heck yes for me. Aside from the health aspect, I find deep-frying to be kind of laborious. The whole oil set up and then clean up is better left to restaurants (in my opinion, of course), so I decided to air-fry these taquitos in my trusty air fryer! The result is still a crunchy exterior, with much less cleanup.
What to Fill Your Taquitos With?
The answer? Anything your heart craves and desires. These cheesy chipotle chicken taquitos are filled with, as the name suggests, cheese, chipotle and chicken. I made my filling in the Instant Pot in under 20 minutes, resulting in perfectly shredded chicken in a creamy sauce. After cooking the chicken, I added some fresh bell pepper, scallions and shredded cheddar cheese.
Pro-tip: You can make the filling in advance, and keep it in the fridge.Print
You could wrap anything up in a tortilla, and I'd happily gobble it up. Now, wrap up a cheesy chipotle chicken filling, and I am one happy girl! These cheesy chipotle chicken taquitos are my spin on a childhood favourite of mine, and dare I say, they are much better!
- 6 Low-carb tortillas, halved if full size, whole if they are smaller-size tortillas
For the Chicken
- 5 Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 Onion, peeled and halved
- 70g Light cream cheese
- 2 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, whole
- 2 tbsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Chipotle chilli powder
- 2 tsp Ancho chilli powder
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- ¼ cup Chicken broth
- ¼ cup Tomato passata
For the Filling
- ⅓ cup Light cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 stalk Scallion, chopped
- ½ Green pepper, diced
- Make the Shredded Chicken: Add all the ingredients under the chicken category, into your Instant Pot. Pressure cook on HI for 15 minutes, and quick release. Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Make the Filling: In a mixing bowl, add the shredded chicken, shredded cheese, scallions and green peppers. Combine well.
- Make the Taquitos: Referring to the photo above, place the filling in the middle of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla tightly and keep them seam down.
- Air Fry: Spray the basket of your air fryer with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange the taquitos in the basket, and spray the tops with cooking spray again. Air fry for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, flipping halfway. Serve with salsa, sour cream, or even some pickled onions
Keywords: Air Fried Taquitos, Cheesy Chipotle Chicken, Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Taquitos, Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fried Mexican Recipes