When you think comfort food, I think we all instinctively think of our childhood favourites, like mac and cheese. Now what if I tell you, STOP! This is the BEST homemade mac and cheese you will ever find! You might think I am exaggerating, but I defend this recipe to the core!
Some of are team original, eat from the pot mac and cheese people. Others live for the crispy topping on the mac and cheese. I say, with great pride, that I specifically look forward to that crunchy, cheesy topping!
Now, let's talk about the elephant in the room - I KNOW this is not actually macaroni. I personally prefer to use pastas such as rotini, because there are so many crevices for the cheesy goodness to get stuck in, which is always a good thing. The great thing about pasta though, is you can really use whatever you have on hand or whatever you prefer, so go wild!
You will notice that the cheese sauce is essentially a bechamel sauce, like the one in my skillet lasagna, with the addition of cheese melted in. Once you have this simple sauce recipe down, you can make creamy additions with ease. A tip to remember is to start with equal parts butter and flour as your thickening base, to which you will add your milk. Super quick, and super easy!
Now, get into that kitchen and be prepared for once again, the BEST homemade mac and cheese!Print
Your search for the best homemade mac and cheese has come to an end! Perfectly creamy with the right amount of crunch, this is just what you need.
- 1 cup rotini pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
For Breadcrumb Topping
- ¼ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil pasta until slightly under al dente. Drain, and set aside.
- In a sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Once melted, add the flour, and whisk together until combined. Let the flour cook through for 2 minutes or so, and add the milk. Continue to whiskwhile the milk comes up to a slow simmer and begins to thicken.
- Add the spices, and mustard, and mix well. Add the cheese slowly, reserving a little bit of the cheddar and parmesan for the topping. Whisk until combined.
- Add the pasta, and coat the pasta in the sauce. Remove off the heat, and transfer to a baking dish
- In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the reserved cheese and olive oil. It should resemble small crumbs. Sprinkle this topping on the pasta, and put in the oven to bake.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, and broil for 2-5 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
Keywords: homemade macaroni and cheese, macaroni and cheese, baked macaroni and cheese, mac and cheese, cheesy pasta